Tuesday, October 1, 2013

New Adult Threesome Contest Entry #5


Title: THROUGH THE STORM
Genre: NA Contemporary Romance
Word Count: 89,000

Query:

After a long summer, nineteen-year-old Jillian Lawson can’t wait to return to design school. With eleven-hundred miles between her vile sister, Jillian can finally break out the neon colored hair chalk and be herself. But, her escape is bittersweet—leaving Griffin is never easy.   

Griffin’s absence leaves a huge void in her life. With the release of his band’s new single, Griffin’s busier than ever, making it difficult to stay in touch. But, Jillian’s afforded a small amount of comfort hearing his voice streaming from her earbuds every day.

With first semester well underway, Jillian can’t find her groove. Her once noisy muse is gagged with every disappointing comment from her professors. She needs Griffin now, more than ever.

But a late night phone call changes everything: A helmetless joyride on a motorcycle leaves Griffin clinging to life. Now Jillian must be the strong one for Griffin, all the while coming to terms with the possibility she could lose the only person she’s ever loved.

First 250:

I stretched the tape across the last box of my belongings and surveyed the barren room. I waited all summer to pack up my things and get the hell out of Jennifer's house. My chalk-colored hair severely clashed with my sister's floral decor, and her lifestyle in general.

From downstairs, Jennifer's voice climbed each step until it punctured its way through the door, "Jillian, I want theses boxes gone. NOW!"  

"Griffin will help me put them in my car when he gets here," I yelled back. 

"And when will that be?" 

"Um...soon, hopefully." I sighed and picked up the heavy box of books, balancing it on my hip. Outside, the growl of an approaching motorcycle signaled Griffin's arrival. Thank God! My best friend, Griffin, pulled into the driveway. Before he shut off the ignition, he revved the throttle of his motorcycle a few times for Jennifer's sake. She hated that. 

Griffin's endeavor to piss Jennifer off made me smile. Excited to see him, I carried the box into the hallway and dropped it, causing the glass figurine cabinet at the end of the hall to rattle. 

"Dear Lord, Jillian! Was that really necessary?" Jennifer screeched. 

Ignoring her, I raced down the steps and threw open the front door. I launched myself from the porch, practically tackling Griffin as he came up the sidewalk. "Hey, Jillibean!" he said, catching me. 

"I'm so glad you're here," I sighed, wrapping my arms around his shoulders.

"That bad, huh?" 

I hugged him tightly. 

2 comments:

  1. I'd like to see the full manuscript, please. Send it to hawnqueries at thebentagency dot com, with "Requested material: THROUGH THE STORM" in the subject line. Thanks so much!
    --Molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms. Hawn,
    Thank you for your interest in my story. I will send my full manuscript out this evening (when I get home from work).
    ~Marie

    ReplyDelete